Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Blue

Blue  noun, adjective,  verb
 1.   The primary color betweengreen and violet in the visible spectrum, an effect of light with a wavelength  between 450 and 500 nm.
 3. something having a blue color
10. the blue
      a. the sky.
      b. the sea.
      c. the remote distance
11. of the color of blue: a blue tie.
14. depressed in spirits; dejected; melancholy

You know how in Moby Dick he says "whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can." ? Well, today I felt like knocking people's hats off, and thought it high time to get to sea as soon as I could. However, even if I live in the southernmost town of Norway, and basically am surrounded by sea, heading out into the blue is not all that easy.

So I tried to go for a walk, I ate a piece of chocolate and I tried to listen to an audio book. When even that  failed to bring safety to people's hats, I knew I had to do something else. Do something that could make up for the lack of Melvillesque  escapes into calm, quiet sense. I find that when I cannot make sense of the world, controlling my chaos has the same effect.

So what was a girl to do?
I redid my hair... with a touch of blue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment