Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Home

Home - noun, adjective, adverb, verb,
1.a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usualresidence of a person, family, or household.
2.the place in which one's domestic affections are centered.
31.write home about, to comment especially on; remark on

Today I left home¹ to go home², as I spent the last few days home¹ at my parents' house. On my way home² I started thinking about the word home, and what it means to me. Where exactly is home.

Obviously Thomas' and my apartment is my 
home². We've filled it with all sorts of quirky things we've gathered over the years. It's where I have most of my books, and it's the place I worry about windows, water and wear. When I think about going home, i picture going home², cuddling up in a blanket, pouring the vino and immerse myself in one of my books.

However, I've modeled my 
home² after my  home¹, and going home¹ is always something I think about with a feeling of comfort and safety. That's where my parents are, most of my family and my old friends.

Whenever I get to Prague, I feel like I've come home
³. The second I step out into the city of a hundred spires, things make sense, my thoughts are clear and I remember who I am and want to be.

So, I guess what I'm saying is the Philosopher Pliny the elder got it right. Home is where the heart is.




No comments:

Post a Comment